Friday, September 26, 2008

Wonder Twin Powers Activate...

My twin sister and I in 1972.

My mom and her twin brother in 1948.

My mom is in town visiting while the kids are on fall break from school. It is great to have her here. She has been helping me so much.  

My mom has a twin brother. She was first born and is older by three minutes. 

I know how important these three minutes are because I am also a twin.  I have an identical twin sister and I beat her into the world by two minutes.  I  reminded her throughout our childhood that I was the older sister. 

Anyway, we have a lot of twins running through our family. I always wanted to have twins, or at least maybe hoped that one of my siblings might have them. No such luck. I guess since my mom was a twin and then had twins, we were the generation to skip.

In honor of my mom, I salute the twin experience.  It was so fun and zany growing up and I can't really imagine life as a singleton without my partner in crime.  

Through the years, people have mixed us up, called us the wrong names and asked us funny questions about being twins. 

My favorite recurring question has got to be, "How do you tell yourselves apart?"  

My grandmother always told us not to look in the mirror at the same time because one of us might be disappointed.  We thought this was so funny and we would turn to each other when we were getting ready and brushing our hair and say, "Are you disappointed?"

My mom didn't know she was pregnant with twins and she kept telling the doctor that this baby has too many arms and legs, but the doctor assured her that what she was feeling was normal. When we were born, the story goes that the last thing my mom remembers hearing was the doctor saying, "Oh my god there is another one," before she passed out. That was our grand entry into the world, me two minutes ahead of my "younger sister!"



PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

17 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

oh I love this story - I have little brothers who are twins and the silly thing I would hear!!

Anonymous said...

wow what a great story. maybe you'll have twins, too!
http://janu-jennifer.blog.friendster.com/2008/09/sbarro-trinoma/

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

I love the photos! So cool! I always thought it would be cool to have twins. I secretly wished each pregnancy that it would happen. And then I realized how much time one baby took and I stopped wishing! LOL!

Jaysi said...

The pictures are priceless! That is a great story. I really can't imagine not knowing I was having twins until I delivered them! How amazing!

Anonymous said...

Great story!

My MIL is a twin and her mother told the same story of feeling like there was more than one even though the doctor insisted she was wrong. Hard to imagine in this day of ultrasounds.

Cecily R said...

HA! That's a great story!

So did you and your sister have your own language when you were kids? I have twin nephews (who after five years I still can't tell apart)and I love hearing them talk to each other!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

OH how I LOVE twin stories (when they aren't mine of course)! Those pictures are totally and completely priceless I tell you.

I wonder too if you and your sister can have those twin premonitions we hear of?

Genny said...

So cute! One of my best friend has twin boys...they are so cute!

Elle said...

Oh OH Oh
I love love love this post

I was laughing out loud
I love the disapointed advice

My Daughter's best friends are twins and when she came home from first grade to tell me about them
she said "mom I have a new friend and there is two of them."

Chris said...

i always wondered what it would have been like to have a twin. My wife assures me that one of me is plenty. I think we had that same couch in your first picture.

Wendy said...

The mom with unexpected twins seems to be a theme for those born pre-ultrasound technology. And alot of fainting stories! My husband is a twin and he too was first! In fact he was normal birth weight and must have taken all the goods because his brother was very small. I like twin stories, especially multigenerational! Check out a great posts by www.octamom.com about twins if you have not already.

AutoSysGene said...

Seriously? How do you tell yourselves apart? That is an ODD question.

I love that your mom called the to many arms and legs before she had y'all.

Anonymous said...

That is such a neat story. Yeah I've heard twins skip a generation so it's pretty interesting that your mother and you are both twins. My MIL is a twin as well.

Joyce said...

What a great Photo Story, Laura! I just love your twin reminiscences.

I think I've asked you before (but I AM forgetful) if you and your sister are identical twins? According to reading that I've done, it is only fraternal twinning that is genetic. The incidence of identical twinning in any population is consistent.

Joyce said...

Oops! Too early in the morning, I guess, because you already told me, in your post, that you and your sister are identical. :P

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story and great photos!

Momisodes said...

Oh this was a great story and those pics are priceless! :)