Sunday, June 1, 2008

Night Swimming

My husband has been away on a trip. It's been tough having all four children around the clock. Last night, the baby was already asleep. I was relishing the thought of the other three sleeping soon. I had plans to work on my writing and watch a movie.  

My son said, "Mom, can we go night swimming? Please, please mom?"

It was a beautiful, clear night, and I thought why not. I'm so glad we did because I really enjoyed watching and interacting with the older three.

As I sat in the spa with Brown-eyed Gal, she said "Mommy, de stars are budiful." 

They were beautiful. We turned off the spa and pool lights. The stars were bright and easy to see. We looked at the North Star and the Big Dipper.

The boys decided to play  "monster." They jumped off the rocks into the dark pool, and I made monster sounds as they swam around in the dark. They laughed and scared themselves silly. When they couldn't take it anymore they would yell, "Mommy, mommy turn on the lights."  We played this over and over until they were relaxed and ready for bed! 

R.E.M. describes it well in their popular song Night Swimming:

Night swimming deserves a quiet night.
The moon is low tonight.
Night swimming remembering the night...

One of my favorite R.E.M. songs. 




Some of the best times with my kids are spontaneous, when I let go of the routine for a moment. Night swimming, awesome!

1 comment:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh you so nailed this post! Night swimming is FANTASTIC. And I love that REM song.