Monday, June 9, 2008

Finnish Mac and Cheese... the Ultimate Comfort Food

The first weekend we moved to the Sonoran Desert, I met my friend Paive who had relocated here from Finland. She has two boys around the same ages as mine, and we spent time together with the kids frequently.  She has since moved away, but one of the things she left us with is a delicious recipe for the ultimate comfort food.

My friend says this dish is close to being the national dish of Finland! It is called "Lihamakaronilaatikko." 

Can you pronounce that?  We'll just go with Finnish Mac and Cheese! 

It is a kid's favorite and since she prepared it for us, my children cannot get enough. It's full of wholesome, basic, comfort food ingredients: eggs, milk, cheese, tomatoes, ground beef, macaroni, salt and pepper, and ketchup on top!

Well, since the Storytellin' Family spent most of the weekend ill with the flu, we are all ready for something soothing and not too hard on the system.  

I am still feeling a little under the weather, so rather than write out the recipe and steps myself... 

Here is a beautiful site, I found that shows step by step instructions and pictures of Finnish Macaroni and Cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments: